Call for Participation

This two-day workshop will bring together an interdisciplinary group of researchers, designers and practitioners who are currently working on wellbeing in the field of interaction design or health care, or are interested in the topic.

Wellbeing is defined as positive mental health, it is not only the absence of mental illness but the presence of positive psychological functioning. The workshop aims to establish a foundational agenda for interaction design research around this concept of wellbeing. It will provide a platform to share experiences and resources, create new ideas for design and build valuable future collaborations. The workshop will further include activities that allow for the experience of different aspects of wellbeing. Moreover, workshop attendees will be invited to collaboratively create design concepts that have the potential to support peoples’ wellbeing and will develop first prototypes using Microsoft .Net Gadgeteer.

Topics of Interest
We invite authors to submit their 1-2 page workshop papers (DIS paper format) describing research or experience in all areas of designing wellbeing. Topics include, but are not limited to:

• theoretical foundations and definitions of wellbeing;
  • discussions of challenges in designing wellbeing;
  • design concepts or developments of wellbeing enhancing technologies;
  • user or case studies of how interaction designs have been appropriated to support wellbeing;
  • guidelines, implications or lessons learned for engaging users in the design process or evaluation of wellbeing supporting designs;
  • methods and tools for measuring wellbeing.

Authors are invited to include a 100-200 word definition of their understanding of wellbeing to stimulate discussion.

Important Dates
Submission by: March 16th, 2012 March 23rd, 2012
Notification of Acceptance: April 16th, 2012
Workshop days: June 11-12th, 2012

Submission and Review
Submissions should be send to anja.thieme@ncl.ac.uk. Workshop papers will be reviewed by a program committee and the workshop organizers.

All workshop participants must register for both workshop days and for at least one day of the main conference. Accepted papers will be made available here.

About Andy Dow

I have a background in performing arts, working at times as an actor, performer and filmmaker. My undergraduate studies were in English Literature and Film studies at Glasgow University. Since coming to Newcastle University I have completed an MSc in Computer Science and have now joined the Digital Civics program at Open Lab as a doctoral trainee.

I was introduced to HCI research through my Masters project where I explored performance control in 3D using above surface, gestural interaction techniques implemented on the Microsoft SecondLight system. In my PhD research I will continue research begun since commencing the Digital Civics program, developing digital platforms for organisations working in social care. Currently, I am working collaboratively with voluntary and community sector organisations to develop tools that allow them to explore, understand and develop elements of their work practices supporting members of the local community. Specifically, these tools take the form of lightweight, situated feedback capture mechanisms.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.