Participants

As well as the authors of the accepted position papers, we look forward to the following accepted Expressions of Interest participating in the workshop:

• James Colley, University of Nottingham

My current work involves building Internet of things driven technologies to support the work of energy advisors for people in fuel poverty. I also work supporting a fellowship on investigating “Building Accountability into the Internet of Things”; in this role I am developing technology probes to study accountability in the Internet of things.

My previous research formed part of the DESIMAX, C-TECH and ORCHID projects in which I was responsible for building and studying new technologies that aimed to help people understand and reduce energy consumption in the home and workplace; specifically person centred representations of energy consumption and thermal comfort in the workplace.

• Richard Bull, De Montfort Universtiy

I am social scientist with a keen interest and track record in researching Sustainable HCI. My particular focus is in using ICT tools for behaviour change with regards to energy and non-domestic buildings. I have been PI on a range of projects including JISC Greening ICT projects DUALL and Greenview (both variants of energy dashboards) and an EPSRC Digital Economy ‘Research in the Wild’ project Gooddeeds, which explored the role of social media and smartphones to engage building users in energy management (non-domestic buildings). I am currently involved in a 3 year Intelligent Energy Europe Project with the National Union of Students exploring the role of energy dashboards in their Student Switch off programme. Common to all of these projects is the theme of public engagement in the design of the relevant ICT tools for sustainability.

• Tracy Ross, Loughborough University

I have completed 25 years of user-centred design research through a series of collaborative projects, across a variety of domains including mobile communications, digital mapping and transport. My most recent projects have focused on the opportunities offered by digital technologies to support a shift to more sustainable transport behaviour. Specific recent projects are: ‘FITS User Innovation’ (EPSRC/DfT/TSB) which looked at how Web 2.0 technologies were enabling grassroots innovation, sharing of information and crowdsourcing of data for sustainable transport solutions; ‘TeleFOT’ (European Commission) which conducted a pan-European evaluation of the impact of ‘nomadic’ devices on safety, mobility and efficiency;  ‘REFLECT’ (EPSRC) which used a smartphone app to enable users to share experiences of their commute in order to encourage car drivers to shift to more active modes; and a collaboration with Leicestershire County Council on their Local Sustainable Transport Fund (DfT) initiatives. My sustainable HCI research interests are: (i) how technology can be used to both capture and influence behaviours, particularly in the sustainable transport arena; (ii) the role that subjective wellbeing can play in influencing behaviours, through the medium of digital technologies; (iii) how crowdsourcing of data can be encouraged by tapping into people’s motivations and by good system design; (iv) the opportunities offered by digital technologies across different aspect of people’s lifestyles, from home to work to travel to leisure and the role of design in these contexts.

• Kate Carter and Mark Selby, Learning Energy Systems at the University of Edinburgh

Learning Energy Systems is a research project from the University of Edinburgh that uses design-led research methods to explore possibilities for the development of energy systems that are better integrated into communities’ complex social and cultural settings. Building on previous research into ambiguity as a resource for interpretation and reflection with interactive systems, we are interested in investigating possibilities for placing people; as sensors of conditions; as drivers of energy demand; as individuals; and as a collective, at the heart of the energy system. Can creating devices and activities that prioritize human needs and comfort, and that better align them with the requirements of a building’s technical energy system, uncover new paths to reducing overall energy demand?

Dr. Kate Carter is a Senior Lecturer in ESALA, University of Edinburgh. As well as practical industry experience of energy modelling, she has led research projects that investigate building fabric and sustainability. One such project lead to Concrete2Cookers, a publicly available game to help school children understand how carbon emissions were linked to both building fabric and operation.

Dr. Mark Selby is a post-doctoral research fellow in the Centre for Design Informatics at the University of Edinburgh. He is interested in the interplay between physical and digital, and how data can be manifested in ways that enrich everyday interactions with, and understandings of our environment.

a British HCI 2015 workshop